Through waves of change stay strong

My relationship with yoga has spanned well over a decade now.. The practice continues to bring me growth, insights, and lately, more than ever, strength, which inspired me to share a bit of my story today. Growing up, I was an under weight little girl.. Through all of my school years girls would make unconscious comments about my size, undoubtedly believing they were complimenting me, but I was never able to receive their words that way..

Moving forward into my twenties, I found yoga, in a brilliant little studio with no mirrors, and loving teachers. I was able to begin getting into my body for the first time in my life, with out the price of having to see it & judge it from the outside, what a gift! I had gentle teachers, and I followed in their footsteps, both in my practice and in the way I choose to teach, I've always been gentle. My body became stronger, and more flexible, but I'm pretty sure it looked exactly the same as it always had. Yoga however, with time, taught me learn to love myself & my body just as it was, and that was an immeasurable gift.

This past season, and laughably moving towards my forties, I have finally mustered up the inspiration to change up my practice a little, and start really challenging myself to get more uncomfortable on the mat; to push through burning muscles and to push boundaries more. It's only been a few months and I can feel the changes internally, and I can't be sure, but it would appear that I am seeing changes externally as well! Since I can't know for sure, with out the aid of measurements or pictures, of which I have neither, I have had no choice but to come to the following conclusion..

All we have is our perception.. Of anything, and everything. What I see when I look in the mirror is not what you see when you look at me. And yesterday I realized what I see when I look at myself changes day to day, and is far from finite. I am feeling stronger because I kicked myself in the butt a little & made my practice stronger, which has cultivated more energy in me, which makes me 'feeL' stronger inside.. So perhaps now when I look down at my legs I see stronger more capable legs because that's how I FeeL. Maybe they look exactly as they always have, and only my perception has changed.. As I mentioned, I can't be sure. But what I am sure of is that I feel stronger, inside and out, emotionally, energetically and physically.

One of a few components that helped to get me there is an amazing teacher. She's on Youtube, and her name is Kino. If you are looking for fresh inspiration, please check her out! But before I tangent too far, my purpose in writing this entry today was to say please remember that we are all looking at the world, at ourselves, and each other through a tinted lens of perception.. That lens can be changed at any time, with a little awareness and effort, and in any direction we choose. We can choose to pick ourselves apart and focus on our weaknesses, or focus on our strengths & make them grow brighter. We are so capable of change, that in fact, we are noT capable of NoT changing! Every day we change, every moment.. we are expanding and contracting, growing and shrinking. My invitation to you is to focus on your growth. Realize when your perception is being unkind, and take from it the message it holds. If it's asking you to change, then change. And if you can't, then do your best to change your perception to accept & love yourself just as you are, for the time being. Because if you can, you will likely find the ability to change will be not far behind that moment.

Namaste,

LittleSpark


Friday, November 22, 2013

Wishing you wellness, strength, and clarity on your path.. Remember to breathe deeply, honor yourself, learn your lessons, and rather than asking 'why are they doing that?'  ask 'why am I standing in the face of that..'    Let's all take responsibility for where we are, how we are, and who we are.  We deserve all that we can dream of, we can create anything we can see in our minds eye, and we are infinitely capable!  As some wise being once said,  'if you know how to reach your goal, it's not a big enough goal.'   ;)     Let yourself be unstoppable.  and with that, an invitation to dance.

With Love,   LittleSpark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA8z7f7a2Pk

No comments:

A Time of Awakening

We are nearing the end of an era together.. The dawning of the Age of Aquarius. The end of the Mayan Long Count Calendar. The Shift on an Age. With this Shift many of us are feeling waves of intensity; environmentally, socially, emotionally, mentally. You might find your relationships are seeming more challenging, aspects in your life that you’ve accommodated for years, such as jobs, living spaces, and relationships are seeming no longer bearable. You might have the sense that time is flying. There is good reason for these experiences. We are collectively pushing our Soul’s Evolution. The gifts of Yoga can be so helpful in moving us through our challenging times. Yoga teaches us to Breathe through stress and discomfort. Yoga reminds us that we are all one, and those that we think are crazy, obnoxious, inconsiderate, ect, are simply extensions of ourselves, here to help us learn and grow. Change is often uncomfortable for us as a species, but we know it is constant and inevitable. Try to allow yourself to drop resistance, and surrender into your life’s lessons. When you get through each experience, and you will.. you will come out the other side, empowered, wiser, and one step closer to the Light..

About Me...

My Yogic Journey began in 2001, when I attended my first yoga class. I was immediately taken with the practice, and I soon began an 18 month intensive Teachers Training Program at The Yoga Centre of Burlington. With the tremendous guidance of my well loved teachers, I earned a RYT500 Certification (Registered Yoga Teacher, 500 hours) to teach Hatha Yoga. I graduated with Distinction in 2003. Although it was not initially my intention to teach, my teachers gave me the courage to try, and since then, I’ve never stopped.. In front of my first class, with a shaky voice, and a nervous belly, I could feel that sharing Yoga was something I was meant to do.

Upon finishing my training, I moved to Kelowna BC, with the aspiration of teaching full time. I am happy to say that I enjoyed that privilege for over 5 years. I am grateful for every student I have, and for all of our shared experiences.

In 2008 I was invited to be part of the SOYA faculty. (South Okanagan Yoga Association) I support their teacher trainees as they log hours, gaining experience and learning how to both teach, and be a student in my classes.

In the winter of 2009, I was compelled to travel through Central America, which led me to what I now believe is my second home, in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. It is a magical place, with amazing vibrations. I am here again now, winter, 2010, and I am hoping to share the gift of yoga at Nica Yoga, just outside of town.

There is plenty to come, as my journey continues to unfold. I look forward to sharing it with you!